Wednesday, October 01, 2008

I finally decided to start keeping a journal. After researching journal keeping a bit, I also decided that I would do well with a visual technique rather than sticking to words alone. I got some lovely digital collage sheets from Etsy.com and started looking into books about art journal techniques.

Unfortunately, I found a number of good books. And then I realized that I have no supplies. And THEN , Shauna Roberts interviewed Jade Lee on her website, and I ended up wanting all of one of Jade's series as well. AND I'm SUPPOSED to be saving to pay for a wedding! And when will I do all of this, even though I want to, very badly, and I think it would be good for my thinking processes? I think a LOT of things would be good for me that I turn out not to follow up on. But I really, really like this idea. Can someone please arrange it to rain money and time? Thursdays are a good day for me, and I always have an umbrella handy....

7 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Lol. I've been keeping a journal since 91 or so.

ninthmuse (roz m) said...

I always feel silly when I try it, like I'm self-absorbed or ranting. I also usually feel like I have very little to write about day-to-day.

Shauna Roberts said...

I feel self-conscious, too, about keeping a journal. Also, although I know many writers swear doing so helps their writing, to me journaling feels like time stolen from my current WIP.

Rae Ann Parker said...

Journaling is a great idea. I wish I did it, but only occasionally write big event things down. My hubby journals and it is always fun when he looks back to read aloud something and we can laugh about it or be glad it's over.

Sphinx Ink said...

Keeping a visual/collage journal is an interesting idea. I'm more word-oriented myself, but collages are being used by a number of authors. Jennifer Crusie and Barbara Samuel (both among my favorite writers) make collages to plot out their works. Jenny talks about her book collages here: http://www.jennycrusie.com/trivia/collage.php.

Sphinx Ink said...

Oh, and here's an earlier essay by Jenny on using collage to bolster creativity, going into a lot more detail on elements to include:
http://www.jennycrusie.com/essays/picturethis.php.

ninthmuse (roz m) said...

Thanks for the links, Sphinx Ink! There are some good ideas presented there, especially since some of the best writing I've done has sprouted while I was involved in another kind of creativity or imagery altogether :)