Friday, August 01, 2008

I just started PLEASURE UNBOUND by Larissa Ione. Even though the story idea is a new one for me, it felt oddly familiar for some reason. Then I realized why--there's a pattern common to the supernatural romance series that are so popular right now. They all have this list of necessary heroes:
1. The reluctant ruler/leader
2. The peacemaker
3. The techie/intellectual
4. The lover
5. The tortured (literally) outsider
6. The tough female loner
7. The cynic

Have I forgotten anyone?

5 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I'll have to take your word for it, not having read any of these. Sounds like a bit of a cookie cutter approach.

ninthmuse (roz m) said...

I keep reading them anyhoo. You know, sometimes a cookie that looks like all the other cookies tastes much better because of quality ingredients and the chef's deft hand.

Sphinx Ink said...

Good analysis, Roz.

Re Charles' comment, I think almost any genre fiction can be analyzed in a similar way. I have no doubt that the heroes in the sword-and-planet genre--Charles' own favorite--can be categorized within a list, too.

One thing that makes genre fiction "genre" rather than "literary" is the use of archetypes for characters. Genre fiction = popular fiction because it hits the personal fantasies of so many readers--fantasies unconsciously based on archetypes.

ninthmuse (roz m) said...

Honestly, I think the whole idea of "literary" fiction is overrated. Too many readers use it as a mark of superiority--"Why, I only read literary fiction, not that fluffy popular nonsense!"

Shauna Roberts said...

And sometimes one wants something predictable and comforting, like a chocolate chip cookie.