Thursday, June 14, 2007

Several years ago, I decided I wanted to be childlike.

I don't remember what exactly spurred this decision. I suspect it had something to do with a discussion I read about the difference between "childlike" and "childish". In any case, I had been much happier and friendlier when I was a wee person, a sharp contrast to the shy and reserved person I had grown into at the time of my decision.

So I decided that I wasn't going to be embarrassed to find joy in the little things in life. To stop and admire the geckos. To savor the chocolate muffin like it was meant to be savored. To always be open to learning something new. To embrace silliness and share its importance with others (often whether I know them or not).

Take the little happinesses when you can get them. Sometimes the big ones can be few and far between.

3 comments:

Shauna Roberts said...

And you spread those little happinesses to your friends. Thank you.

Farrah Rochon said...

Take the little happinesses when you can get them. Sometimes the big ones can be few and far between.

Words to live by, my dear. :) Here's to being childlike and savoring chocolate muffins.

Sphinx Ink said...

Good thoughts to remember, Roz. What I want to rediscover is the quality of wonder, as in a child encountering things for the first time--harking back to times before one became disillusioned.

I've just discovered your blog, and plan to keep following it. I'm including a link to it on my blog, too.

By the way, I'm tagging you to take part in a "meme." If you'd like to participate, go to my blog entry for June 19 at http://sphinxink.blogspot.com/ to learn more. It was fun.

If you are mystified by the moniker "Sphinx Ink," it's the alter ego of the previous SOLA newsletter editor. C'est moi!